Monday, July 02, 2007

Don't you need to be a Mom to wear a mother's ring?

Derick bought me a beautiful ring for Mother's Day. We finally picked it up on Friday. It's white gold with Dylan, Riley's, and Derick's birthstones on it. They are marquis cut, seperated by diamonds. I adore it!

I wore it to work today and proudly showed everyone around me. Heading to the bathroom, I ran into another girl at work that knows 'our' story. When I showed her, she said "Don't you have to be a Mom to wear a mother's ring?" I felt my face turn red. I muttered, "It's for the boys." and I walked away. She immediately felt bad. I knew she did because I could see it in her face. But I felt bad. It made me feel stupid. Maybe I shouldn't be wearing a mother's ring. But it's beautiful and I love it. I want to wear it. And when people ask about it, I will tell them why I'm wearing it. It's for my boys. I AM a mother.

6 comments:

Cajun Cutie said...

Becky, YOU ARE A MOTHER! Tel that sob that she can shove it. Just because your sons aren't around doesn't mean that you are any less of a mom. What about the mother's of soldiers or children in college or boarding school are they not mothers? I know it is not quite the same thing, but I feel that for her to belittle you and the other mothers of deceased children is just terribly inappropriate. I miss you!

missing_one said...

yes, you ARE a Mother, in more ways then most will ever be

Mrs Macgyver said...

Oh Becky, I'm sorry you had to deal with that! It really ticks me off that our babies that aren't here with us are supposed to become 'secret babies' after a certain amount of time has passed. I refuse to hide ~Laurent~ away like that!

You are a Mother, and don't ever let anyone else tell you otherwise!

LaurentsMummy

long35acre said...

I think what I've gone through has pretty much stifled me from saying too many stupid things. I think people who haven't been through what we have just don't get it. Hopefully we can educate them so they don't say stupid things to others at a later date.

I have a ring that has the birth stones of my living children, as well as Ian. They are all my children.

Rachel said...

Just because you don't have a child in your arms doesn't mean your not a mom.

BTW, a couple years ago my grandmother got a mother's ring. On it she had 4 birthstones. One of her sons died at age 5 about 50 years previous, one daughter died 25 years earlier. It would not have been right for her to get the ring and only put her 2 living children't birthstone on it.

Wear the ring with pride!

Debbie said...

Oh, Becky, that's the most insensitive thing every. I'm sorry. You ARE a mother. (I know I'm coming in WAY late here...) (((hugs)))