Thursday, June 26, 2008

Not as bad as we thought

So first, the good news....NO MORE INCOMPETENT CERVIX!!! We graduated!!!! Yay! I was giddy with excitement when he told me that he didn't need to see me anymore for cervix checks. It's been steady, and today was actually the longest it has been at 3.6cm. I had a spring in my step when I got out of the car and ran up the steps to tell Derick the good news. I haven't ran in a while : )

They did a level 1 today and she weighs 1lb 14oz and she's measuring right on track at 25w6d. She's smack dab in the middle of the growth spectrum, which was great. He said that the fluid level is wonderful, and the blood flow is "almost supernatural"...those were his exact words! So he was really thrilled with that. It's one concern with high bp and pre-e.

They took my bp and it was 140/78. We discussed a lot about it and he explained that with typical pre-e or PIH, your bp can change drastically. It will go from very high or high, to normal or even low within minutes. So now we understand why they were so concerned. No one explained that to us. He also said that he's not sure he recommends meds because it just helps a symptom but not the problem. The problem is still pre-e, not high bp. So I would really rather not take them unless it's a do or die situation. I told him that my mother had it, and that there were other risk factors that I had. He asked my mom if she had GD and she said that she had it with me. Haha, that was news to me...so there's another risk factor. She had pre-e with my brother and possible GD because he was 10lbs 4oz, and deffinate GD with me. He is anticipating that I'll have both, but that it's nothing to be more concerned about. He said that typically they go hand in hand and I'm certainly not the only person with both. The good news is that the pre-e won't let her get supersize (that's what I call my brother) and the GD won't let her be overly small. We talked about the steroid shots and he's not anticipating them anytime in the near future. Sometime after 30 weeks probably. He then said that if I have GD, the shots can make my blood sugar shoot up so they will do it in a controlled environment and I'll be in overnight.
Otherwise, he recommended 24-hr urine every week and that a home nurse come in everyday and check my bp, dip my urine, and look for swelling or any other signs.

So it was NOT nearly as scary as yesterday. We're deffinately looking at 36 weeks and possibly 34. But not like we thought yesterday...we still have some time!!

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Thank God

5 comments:

Monica H said...

Yay! I know having GD and Pre-e is not great news, but at least it all makes sense now. I didn't comment yesterday because I wanted to hear about today's visit first.

I'm glad things are better than you originally thought. And 34-36 weeks sounds great to me (I can't even imagine!) And having a nurse come to see you and check your vitals everyday is wonderful. I'm sure it'll get annoying at times but at least they're watching you like a hawk.

Anonymous said...

such wonderful news. I am glad all seems to be going well for you. You definitely deserve that andthen some. I hope you keep that spring in your step for months to come dear. I always knew that things would turn out great for you...lets keep it all going in that direction ok?

niobe said...

This sounds much, much better. And I can see how GD, since it makes the baby bigger, is almost a good thing under the circumstances.

Anonymous said...

I am overjoyed that your baby is doing so well. I really must thank you for all the informative posts you leave on my blog, i really appreciate it. thank you for offering to answere questions too. i may have some as my appointment approaches. i am so happy that you no longer have the dreaded IC. yay! your doing so well.

Azaera said...

So happy for you and Lily! :D