Saturday, January 12, 2008

Jumping off a bridge

I feel like I'm standing on a bridge. I could run across to safety (and a lifetime without children), or I could jump. But if I jump, the river is narrow and only a few feet of it is wide enough to survive the jump. I could land on the rocky shore, and that would be sudden death (loosing another baby). So do I jump and hope that I land in the river? If I do, it wouldn't be sudden death. No matter where I would land, I would be safe...although I would be a bit more worse off if I didn't land where the water is deep. But if I do land in the deep water, I'll be safe!

So what do I do? Run to the other side, jump and risk sudden death, or take the jump and pray for safety?

That's how I feel about trying again. The fear is the equivalent of jumping off a bridge without a safety net.

Except with trying again, I will have a safety net. I'll have my cerclage...

So then, knowing that I'll have my safety net in place, why is it so difficult to move ahead?

I've stopped using the OPK's. I'll admit that they were very cheap, and perhaps there wasn't enough dye in them. But when I looked through the garbage (what else would any other rational person do?) I think I came across one that was positive. So perhaps I've O'd already and missed it. I don't know. But even if I did ovulate, the other important part of the equations hasn't been there. So it wouldn't matter anyway.

No pressure, no pressure! That's what he keeps saying.

OK hon, no pressure. But today is the day, and without pressure it's not going to happen.

So instead I go to sleep sad, blaming it on myself because yet again it's something that I just can't do right.

Even if I have O'd, there's nothing there to meet it at the end of the journey. And if I haven't, at least I have more time.

The perfectly rational part of me knows that these things can take a while. But the perfectly irrational part of me is throwing a tantrum.

Thank you for your support and your rational words. I appreciate it more than I'm sure you realize sometimes!

4 comments:

Monica H said...

It's often the irrational/impatient perts of us that take over. I completely understand where you are right now. My husband and I are on the same bridge (and I think I see you on the other side- I'm waving!) Only he thinks because there is a risk if us not landing safely in the water, don't even think about jumping.

In a real life situation, if I WERE actually on a bridge, I would NOT jump! However, if you don't take the plunge, you'll never know where you would have landed. I COMPLETELY understand why you're hesiitant. In the last pregnancy, you had a net and it didn't catch you when you thought it would. You landed hard and ther was sudden death. Sudden death for your baby and a part of you too.

God is providing you with a safety net and the resources (doctors, cerclage etc). I say jump!

please email me if you want to talk any further. I'm thinking of you.

BasilBean said...

Oh Becky, I'm sending you one of the biggest cyber hugs I can muster.

(((((((((((((((Becky)))))))))))))))

If only we could just do the sperm part ourselves! Yah, let's just take it easy--no pressure--let it happen in it's own time, blah, blah, blah. Only, with that sort of attitude it could take a long time (if at all). Ugh. Or it could happen right away. It did before.

But it does need to happen when our husbands feel ready, too. Ugh again. This is hard.

So I'm sending you lots of love and hopeful thoughts that it will happen right when you and Derek are ready.

The cerclage will work. Easy for me to say, I know. But I believe it with all of me.

loves

Anonymous said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am SO sorry for your losses.
with regard to opk's I find that if I wait 5 minutes to 10 minutes to look at them there is a slight line or nothing, but I always end up with a dark line that is not faint but most definitely not darker or the same as the control one. and there is no rhyme or reason to it, perhaps I took it to early? drank too much water? who knows. I actually was just trying to figure out why I'd get a darker line CD 8 and then fade out to nothing on CD 10 it's not the first time it happened. I wish you luck and I completely understand most of your feelings and they're normal. and by the way I've decided to read your blog this week, from beginning to end...hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Good words.