Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A mistake?

I've seen so many women lately on an October expecting club that I lurk on that are starting to develop IC or complications surrounding it and cerclages. Their cervix's typically measure between 2.2cm and 2.7cm at about 20 weeks. Their doctors have either placed a cerclage and are on bedrest or just on bedrest. So why then, when my cervix measured 1.9cm at 14 weeks with Riley was I not put on bedrest or told to curtail my activities at all? That's a good 6 weeks before they started to have problems, and almost a whole cm shorter than their cervix's.

I've been thinking lately about requesting my records from the Perinatal Center surrounding Riley. I have always felt that there was something missing in the picture but am unable to put the pieces together. I feel like I might not ever be able to get through the rest of my life without knowing. Yet logically, I know that it won't change things and it certainly won't bring him back to us.

I spoke to Derick about it today over lunch. He thinks it's going to be a mistake. That it will open a can of worms that we will never be able to put a lid on. He also said that the best case scenerio is that we'll see what we've always suspected. And the worst case is a bit worse than that. He's concerned that it will make me angry again after we've worked so hard to let go of that anger. He's also concerned that it will make me sad and says that he doesn't want me to go through that...or put Lily through that. So what do I do? Is it a mistake to request them?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, i just want to thank you for leaving me such an informative and heartfelt post. i will def. read your blog and posts and encourage you to do the same.
dr. stiffneck is actually very well regarded and very highly recommended by my ob. in anycase, i know this is nothing to sneeze at, and i am very nervous, but i will be in a better place one this consultation takes place.
i am always very happy when someone who has been through a loss (or losses in our case become pregnant). I am also very sorry for your losses. pregnancy loss is awful!
i really do wish you all the luck in the world this time around! in regards to this post, i think i would agree with yoru husband on this one, although i do understand your need. maybe this might be something you will consider after you have the baby?

right now i think you don't need to be reminded of what has gone wrong in the past.

Antigone said...

I lean towards information gathering. My anger and grief have periodically spiked but the more information I've acquired the better I ultimately felt.

Just please remember that it wasn't your fault. It was your doctor's responsibility to spot the warning signs.

Monica H said...

I requested my records and had to pay almost $200 bucks for them and didn't find any information that I didn't already know.

I'm glad I have them, and I understand your need to look at them but I also understand where Derick is coming from. This could potentially open up a can of worms- and then maybe not. It might bring you peace.

Trust your heart and do what feels right but just know and accept that you may see or read something you wish you hadn't, and you can't make that go away. Would it help if Derick looked over them first, then gave them to you????

Anonymous said...

I agree that you should wait until this baby is born. You have enough heartache and stress as it is now. I hope once the baby comes and you decide to get the records it is some kind of closure for you. But at this oint I think it would do you more harm than good and that you do not need. chin up...

Cajun Cutie said...

I understand the importance of closure. That being said, I don't think this is the right time for you to dive back into all the second guessing. I have known you for a long time, and I like derrick worry about how you would react. You depression was so deep that I worry reading the medical file will send you back there. What would that mean for Lily?I think we all already believe that your doctor is to blame for what happened to Riley. I don't think you need to read the medical file to determine that it wasn't your fault. We KNOW it wasn't your fault.