Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Emotionally drained

Some week...

My aunt lost her battle with cancer early Monday morning. She passed away at home, and from what I know, in her sleep. She had fierce determination, and even showed it as she was slipping away. We're hanging in there...but it's hard.

Lily is doing very well. She amazes me every single time that I see her. Today she is a week old. I'm exahusted going back and forth to the NICU. We see her in the morning, and then I come back at night to check her weight, give her a bath, hold her while she's eating, and kiss her goodnight. If I can I try to stop by in the afternoon. Yesterday she started sucking on a pacifier, and by the time we got there this morning she was sucking from a bottle. Not a lot, but it's incredible progress. The suck reflex isn't something that typically appears closer to 34 weeks. She might be home sooner than later. Dare I say, the next 2 weeks or so?!

It's been such a strange, emotional week. The Circle of Life. It's how things work, right? My family tries to comfort me by telling me that. I would much rather see Lily in my aunts arms. Lily has the same fire that she displayed. She has that same fierce determination. She's a fighter. Just like my aunt.

I'm thinking now of my aunt's wedding day. I have little recollection. But what I do remember is standing in the driveway, all dressed, looking at the horse-drawn carriage. The decorations were exquisite, the dress was extraordinary, and my aunt was beautiful. I remember when she brought her first born daughter home from the hospital. I watched carefully over the changing table as she changed her diapers. We baked cookies together. Every year, dozens and dozens of cookies. She taught me how to sew. Together we made a blanket for my grandmother when she was dying of cancer. My grandfather gave it back to me after she passed, but it kept her warm when she was undergoing treatment. She was overjoyed when I was pregnant with Dylan, but sadly she backed away after we lost him. She didn't call and I became angry and hurt. I have no doubt that she's found them, and she's holding them in her arms as we speak. I miss her already, but I'm still in shock. The last week has been full of ups and downs, and I'm just...done.

8 comments:

M said...

::hugs:: I'm sorry about your aunt. I know you must be so drained after all of this. A birth and a death in one week.

I'm glad to hear that Lily is doing well. I wanted to tell you, yesterday or the day before I had a bit of anxiety. Okay, more than a bit. So I looked at Lily's pictures, and they helped me to feel better. She's an inspiration :)

Azaera said...

This is a tough time, really tough. You just hang in there, and don't be afraid to let it out and just cry when you feel the need. It doesn't mean you are weak. You have a lot to contend with right now. Look for help when you need it. Things will be okay again, you have a lot of angels looking out for you. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry about your aunt. how comforting to know that she is holding and hugging your boys right now!

don't forget to take time for yourself. i never really understood that until i lost ~willie~, and you have been through so much!

how awesome about lily progressing so quickly! it will be great when you get to take her home with you!

i am sending lots and lots of positive thoughts, prayers and hugs!

nicole
niccalvin14

Anonymous said...

no easy way to deal with such things. you just carry on the best you can, weary, exhausted, sad, grateful, lost, happy, found. I hate the circle of life sometimes I really do. I'm glad Lily is doing so well and I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sending big hugs your way. try to sleep as much as you can before she gets home. the sleep depravation and exhaustion compounds all these feelings. thinking of you!

Monica H said...

I am so sorry about your aunts passing. Though I know it doesn't make things better, I have no dounbt she is up there with your grandmother holding your two boys. One in each of their arms.

I'm glad Lily is making such great progress. Hopefully she will come home earlier and be where she belongs. I'm praying for your new family and hoping that time eases your sorrows.

Ange said...

So so sorry to hear that. I am glad you got to enjoy such a wonderful relationship together so many lovely memories. Great news re Lily what a clever little girl she must be. Hope you get plenty of rest. Take care

mrsmuelly said...

The circle of life is not an easy thing to deal with. My prayers are with you and your family.

I'm glad to hear that Lily is doing well and is sucking!

Anonymous said...

wow, the duality of your emotions must be unparalled. you finally receive your Lily and then your Aunt passes. I think your right, Lily was born to be a bringer of hope and joy.